Fresh2o supported the installation of three boreholes, installed with hand-pumps, in the Fatakanina neighbourhood of Andrainjato Est muncipality (Lalangina district, Haute Matsiatra region) as part of the 7 wells campaign. These were the final three boreholes of from the campaign to be put in place.
Andrainjato Est municipality was created in 2006 and its population’s access to clean drinking water is very low, with most people fetching water from unprotected springs. People in this area suffer from the drying-up of traditional water springs in the dry season (between August and November) and from bilharzia-infected waters. Numerous negative consequences impact on both health and the local economy, including time spent fetching water in the dry season.
In 2013 and early 2014, 3 villages (amongst the dozens who have requested help in this area) benefitted from clean drinking water provision through the installation of boreholes using the «Rota Sludge» technology. These were the villages of Ambohibory, Ambatolahikalamainty and Vatomitatana, all of which were funded by fresh2o. This second round of boreholes in Andrainjato Est area provided clean drinking water to two more villages. The drilling work was carried out in July 2014.
The location of target villages:
|Region||District||Commune (Rural municipality)||Fokontany (neighbourhood)||Villages|
|Haute Matsiatra||Lalangina||Andrainjato Est||Fatakanina||Andranomena|
1. Calendar of work:
- Before well drilling had started for the previous boreholes in 2013, preparation work for the new boreholes began. The remaining activities, which were carried out in the weeks before drilling began, included the identification of the exact places to drill and the organisation of community contributions during work (cow manure, water, sieving sand, etc.).
- 10th July 2014: The drilling teams and 2 interns (local students at Fianarantsoa University, specialising in water) travelled from Fianarantsoa to Andrainjato Est with materials and borehole kits. One team went to Andranomena village and the other to Antanimenalava.
- Team 1: Randria, Abel, Bruno, Toussaint.
- Team 2: Mamy, Aimé, Paul.
- 11th July 2014: Start of drilling work for each team.
- 31st July 2014: Drilling work ended for the second borehole in Andranomena.
- 2 boreholes were drilled in Andranomena village (in the South-East & West of the village) and 1 in Antanimenalava village. A population of 480 spread over 81 households benefit from this clean drinking water infrastructure. This represents 29% of the total population (of 1,683) of the neighbourhood (Fokontany).
- 3 water management committees were created and are now functional.
- 6 village maintenance technicians were identified and trained up during work; 2 for each borehole.
- This area is difficult to access by vehicle.
- Start of the hungry season in this area. However, no major problems were met with regard to collecting community contributions to the project in cash (125,000 Ariary per borehole).
4. Positive points:
- The villagers were overjoyed to immediately abandon their previous water sources from the first day of the boreholes functioning.
- Communities were dynamic in the organisation of their contributions to the project (cow manure, water) during the drilling work for the 3 wells, even though the majority of people in this area are occupied with taking their agricultural products to sell in Fianarantsoa’s Zoma market (19 km away) every day.
- Most other villages in the Andrainjato Est area who have not yet benefitted from boreholes are keen to have one.
5. Remaining activities underway:
- Monitoring of the beneficiaries’ fencing around the borehole and decoration around it (flower garden, etc.).
- Capacity-building of the village maintenance technicians (follow-up training) and for members of the water management committees, members of the local authorities and neighbourhood chiefs. This is planned for September 2014.
- Monitoring of the chlorination of the well.
Water quality tests 1 month after the 3rd chlorination of the borehole.
Beneficiaries fetching water from the borehole in South East Andranomena
Stratigraphic profile (Andranomena South East)
South East Andranomena well
Stratigraphic profile (Andranomena West)
West Andranomena well
Handing-over ceremony to the community at the end of drilling work
Stratigraphic profile (Antanimenalava)